AWINGU FOR HEALTHCARE
HOSPITAL IMELDA BONHEIDEN CHOOSES AWINGU
Imelda is a mid-sized regional hospital in Bonheiden, near Antwerp (Belgium). They employ about 1900 employees – a mix of Medical Doctors, Nurses, administrative staff and management. Awingu facilitates remote working and introduces Bring Your Own Device (BYOD), while significantly reducing IT support efforts.
The IT team was challenged by a growing demand for remote working and BYOD (Bring Your Own Device):
- Employees across the hospital demanded the ability to work remotely to increase efficiency (home, different hospital, patients, …)
- Medical Doctors are often running a private practice, next to their association to the hospital. They require a remote access to Imelda’s applications and files from their own device (an Apple MacBook, a tablet, …)
- The wide range of devices, security/compliance constraints and the complexity of use-cases was impossible to manage (cost) efficiently with the classic ‘agent-based’ tools (e.g. RDP, Citrix XenApp).
– Secure remote access to Imelda’s applications from any type of device. For example: Medical Doctors can securely work from their personal device in their own private practice.
– No more remote printing issues. The ‘Awingu printer’ feature enables easy printing at home (or any other location) from a personal device.
– Document sharing via Awingu and no longer via unsupported tools ‘on the side’ (e.g. WeTransfer, Dropbox).
– No local agents to support and manage by the IT team. End-users access applications and files via a browser using their device of choice.
– Improved efficiency of IT support via the ‘session sharing’ functionality. No more hassle with third party tools. Awingu offers everything ‘Out-of-the-Box’
The easy and fast implementation of Awingu was a very strong driver in our decision to roll-out Awingu.
Awingu’s support desk is an example for the rest of the industry.
Medical Doctors can securely work from their personal Apple iMac in their private practice.
NHS MID CHESHIRE HOSPITALS ADOPT AWINGU ON AZURE
Mid Cheshire was looking for solutions that help improve patient care by enabling remote access to patient information in a cost-effective way. Awingu certified partner ‘New Signature’ implemented an online workplace solution running Awingu on Microsoft’s Azure cloud. Now, employees have the capability to easily work from anywhere, while the IT operating costs have been reduced compared to the previous way of working.
Mid Cheshire hospitals NHS foundation trust manages multiple health care institutions in the UK (Leighton Hospital in Crewe, Victoria Infirmary in Northwich, and Elmhurst Intermediate Care Centre in Winsford). It is a midsized organization that employees over 4000 members of staff.
- Secure remote access from any device to the hospitals core application (Emis) as well as a full desktop
- Lower operating costs compared to the old way-of-working
- An OPEX and usage-based payment model covering all services
- Azure has increased functionality of users and accessibility of key applications that are now stored in the Microsoft Cloud
Having solid access to your clinical systems with patient information, when you need it, will improve patient care.
Awingu was really cost-effective and will help us save a significant amount of money.
AZ LOKEREN DEPLOYS AWINGU FOR REMOTE WORKING IN A HEALTHCARE SETTING
AZ Lokeren (Lokeren General Hospital) was looking for a simple, cost-effective and highly secure solution to let their doctors, medical and administrative staff work remotely. ‘When we heard what they were looking for,’ says Joeri Tranchet (Prodata Systems), ‘it immediately became clear to us: Awingu is the perfect solution for this scenario!’
‘I think every hospital faces the same challenges as we do, and Awingu has proven to be very simple to use and manage tool to tackle the question of remote working at the AZ,’ says Annelore Van Eeghem, IT Manager. ‘Furthermore,’ says Denis Roels (Data Protection Officer DPO), ‘working with Awingu was a major improvement when it came to data security’.
- Remote access: with Awingu, the hospital can give access to all of its doctors from any device. Also medical and administrative staff that works from home can ‘work as if they’re at the office’, says Wim Van Campenhout (staff member).
- Simple: Awingu was installed in a short amount of time and is very easy to manage and use.
- Secure: DPO Denis Roels points out that by installing Awingu, the hospital has made major improvements in terms of IT security: they use the built-in two-factor authentication, combat shadow IT with secure file sharing and make use of the extended auditing capabilities.
- Cost-efficient: ‘Awingu is just a layer on top of our existing environment,’ says Annelore Van Eeghem (IT Manager). Leverage your current infrastructure without making additional costs in a sector that has airtight budgetting schedules.
We can now allow our doctors, medical and administrative staff to work from anywhere (including from home) in a highly secure and easy-to-use way.
With Awingu, I was able to work at home as if I was at my office at the hospital!
Awingu is just a layer on top of our existing environment and was very quickly set up. Overall, it is very easy to use and manage.
By implementing Awingu, we have made some huge advancements when it comes to IT security.
THE HOSPITAL OF EAST-LIMBURG GOES AWINGU FOR COST-EFFECTIVE OPERATIONAL EXCELLENCE
The Hospital of East-Limburg (Ziekenhuis Oost-Limburg or ZOL) is one of the largest peripheral hospitals in the province of Limburg and employs around 3000 people in staff and is home to over 300 medical doctors. Because the hospital is spread across 3 campuses (a number which will continue to grow as it has recently announced its merger with another hospital, Ziekenhuis Maas en Kempen), they noticed an increasing need to enable mobile work from anywhere, on any device.
- Easy remote access: “It’s an easy to use product. You don’t need to install or update agents or clients, you effortlessly log in to the workspace to access our internal systems via a web portal which is a big plus for our users in the day-to-day maintenance and use of our systems”, says Kurt Gielen (ICT Operations Manager).
- Cost-efficiency: ZOL was able to lower its licensing and operational costs by up to 50% when migrating away from Citrix to Awingu.
- Operational efficiency: where they needed a server park with 20 servers when using Citrix, they now only require 8 with Awingu – which is a huge improvement both operational and financially.
- Reduced IT support: “In the past, when we still used Citrix, we got a lot of calls about login and printing problems. Now that we’ve made the switch to Awingu, that has strongly declined, which significantly lowered the work load for the IT department”, says An Liebens (Servicedesk Engineer).
- JCI Accreditation by using Awingu as a DRS enabler: Awingu also helped ZOL in light of their JCI accreditation, which is an industry-wide standard for care quality. In terms of IT, being JCI accredited implies that you can deliver excellent care to your patients at any possible time – also in times of, for example, a major power outage or a disaster. According to Kurt, many hospitals print out every single patient file on a daily basis and construct a gargantuous paper archive to be ‘IT-independent’. However, ZOL found a much more cost-efficient and (definitely) easier way to do this: “We used the same technology in an Azure setup to give access to our emergency systems, comletely isolated from our on-prem environment and live replicated in the cloud, always accessible in a case of emergency,” says Kurt Gielen.
“Now that everyone works with Awingu, Citrix has been completely replaced and taken offline.”
“It was absolutely crucial for us to have a new, modern and stable environment that we could deploy in a qualitative way and that allowed us to tackle as many use cases as possible.”
“In the past, when we still used Citrix, we got a lot of calls about login and printing problems. Now that we’ve made the switch to Awingu, that has strongly declined, which significantly lowered the work load for the IT department.”
“It’s an easy to use product. You don’t need to install or update agents or clients, you effortlessly log in to the workspace to access our internal systems via a web portal which is a big plus for our users in the day-to-day maintenance and use of our systems.”
“We used the same technology in an Azure setup to give access to our emergency systems, comletely isolated from our on-prem environment and live replicated in the cloud, always accessible in a case of emergency.”